Sunday 11 March 2018

Has Spring sprung?

The world this week has a very different feel to last week. We've gone from a winter wonderland to a definite feeling of new growth and a return of 'shorts weather!'

My opportunities for outside bike rides have been very limited. In fact today was the only day I got out for a short spin. It was great to be out though!




Church at Arthingworth

This is one of my 'before work,' regular rides. I would normally go for a longer ride on a weekend day but hey it's been a busy one. My wife Lee, the Queen of Cakes, had her birthday on Friday and it's Mother's Day today. So as you can imagine we've made the most of it. The healthy eating plan has been put on hold until Monday and you know we've been spoiling our special lady!

Handy smartphone friendly glove

The picture above was possible without removing my glove due to the handy hole in my right index finger. This intrigues me...is there a commercial opportunity for someone to design a cycling glove with an adaptation for smartphone use? I'm not revealing the rest of my ideas because I plan to make my millions designing the ultimate winter cycling gloves...Back in the real world, these are still  my favourite gloves ever. I can't find another pair like them and this makes me sad!

My favourite gate at Harrington

I've taken this picture a lot. I love the view across the valley from this gate. Just around the corner there's a barn conversion with an uninterrupted view of the valley. Whoever that's being built for is a very lucky person!

Selfie
 At the same gate I decided to take a selfie. As per usual my helmet is on wonky! Everything else is great about that Kasc helmet, so it's probably just that I have a wonky head! Whilst taking this a fellow cyclist stopped to check if I was okay, mistaking my confused picture taking for a ride busting mechanical. I like that us MAMILs look after each other out on the road!

Keep me rolling kit

A story has emerged from the C&D Cycles club ride yesterday regarding punctures and being prepared and all that. Someone has helpfully found a video of the essential things to put in your "saddlebag!" I don't use a saddlebag and I'm not alone in this practise, as many follow this rule from the Velominati:

  1. Saddle bags have no place on a road bike, and are only acceptable on mountain bikes in extreme cases.
Now, the big thing about these rules, are that they're even looser than the pirate code. Less a set of guidelines, more some nonsense to aid cycling based banter. They've even decided to go back on this one themselves! Velominati u-turn based on sponsorship deal...


All packed away

My solution is this really handy 'road caddy,' from Lezyne. You're supposed to put your phone in it but I get mine out too often to use it that way. However I do manage to carry the basics with me should I get a flat or need to do running repairs. The whole thing neatly fits in a jersey pocket. I swap the pump for the CO2 inflator when I have a cartridge!

Rim repair

The other reason for getting out on my road bike today was to test out those tubeless tyres. Andy and Chris from C&D Cycles had another crack at setting these up for me. I probably wrecked the rim tape by putting a tube in after I couldn't re-inflate (because a. it was wrecked, b. It's me that meddles with my bike and c. I read somewhere that needing to use a tube is likely to wreck the rim tape.) Anyway those marvellous chaps have done the job superbly yet again. Those American Classics wheels were super smooth today!

After the ride we headed to my Mum's for the best roast dinner in Northamptonshire. You might think it's mean to get your Mum to cook on Mother's day but my Mum, like everyone in our family, enjoys cooking and as my Nan was there, she was cooking for her Mum too! It was great for all four generations to catch up and also really nice to see the progress of 'Charity,' my parents latest Guide Dog puppy. Charity is the 5th puppy they've had. Like her predecessors, Charity will stay with my parents for about a year until she is ready for her training at Leamington Spa. It's hard to see them go but it's also rewarding to know that as Guide Dogs they do a fantastic job.

Charity the guide dog puppy, she doesn't stay still for long so it's hard to get a focussed picture!

The rest of the week has been about regular sessions on the indoor trainers. Having developed the skill of riding no handed on rollers, I've lost it again. For reasons I can't explain I tip over to the right when I take my hands off. I've tested this out on the road today and had no such problem. It's both frustrating and curious! Sam has been joining me in the mornings and it's been good to hear him yell at himself in encouragement.

So this weekend may have been one of indulgence but since Christmas both Lee and I have been using MyFitnessPal. I've always found this weight loss app to work despite recent claims that calorie counting is ineffective. One of the good features on the app is the clean eating links. We've made loads of new healthy foods and have discovered other helpful resources such as FitFoodieFinds on Instagram. Both of us are over a stone (14 pounds or 6.35kg,) lighter and for the first time since 2015 I am currently 13stone 12lbs (88kg, 194 pounds.) 

Okay that's all I have time for .

Happy Pedalling!




No comments:

Post a Comment