Monday 7 May 2018

Bank Holiday Bicycling Bonanza...Another weather turnaround this time it's a heatwave!

In glorious weather this weekend I got out on my bikes and wow, just wow! 3 days, 3 different rides, lots of fun!




Ride one was the traditional C&D Cycles CC Saturday shop ride. I just knew it would be a lovely ride as I headed in to Kettering via that short sharp beast that is Bunker Hill. I felt great, which I really had no right to after following the Dan Lloyd guide to hydration and massively overdoing the Friday night "mineral waters!"




With all that good feeling I elected once again to go with the quick group. For me it was very very quick! Marcus decided to bail at Woodford and waited for the banter bunch. Neil and Andy B set the pace the rest of us held on as well as we could. We had a go at a bit of chain ganging and at times we got it right, steaming along.

There wasn't much time for banter until we eventually stopped for a rest at in the impressive gateway near Pilton which I've never understood in terms of history or relevance. It looks like it leads to a big house. My most recent research uncovered nothing at all apart from this picture...


Now you're wondering why is there a picture of a Red Kite? Well on the 'pictures of Pilton,' page, there's this stunning picture of a Red Kite. I'm constantly trying to get a good pic of these stunning birds whilst we're out on a ride. One has even swooped in front of us and I still missed it. Here's one I took yesterday...


Not quite the same is it?

Back to the cycling stuff. At the break my average for about 25 miles of cycling was over 19mph. That's faster than I've ever ridden. It's not especially quick compared to many people I ride with or indeed the really good riders who've moved on. However, that's a big improvement for me and maybe with a few less mineral waters on a Friday night I could've maintained this for the whole ride.



It has to be said that I let the side down jersey choice wise in this week. They're all in C& D jerseys I'm wearing my Giant Sunshine Coast top. I don't why anyone else didn't make this choice, haven't they been to Mooloolaba? It was pointed out that the jersey in question matches Neil's Giant Propel better than mine but...get your own mate! It was also at this point that someone slipped a banana skin into Bairdy's pocket...what cheeky fun!



The rest of the ride wasn't what I would call a struggle, I just couldn't keep up with the lads at the front. Neil and Andy B tore off. Andy F, Mark C and Bairdy were not far behind. Steve, Graham and I were a bit broken! My average dropped down to 17mph, something a few months ago I would have been very happy with BUT looking at Strava later I discovered I was still getting personal records. Back at the shop we had time for a chat, a laugh and of course that cycling superfood cake!


With tired legs my cycle home was a slow saunter. I took the dogs out for a recovery walk. This glorious weather is good for us, Harvey though was getting a bit too hot!


The next order of the day was a trip to the Saints for the last match of the season. It's been disappointing to say the least this year but we've had some high points. Beating the Tigers twice can never be a bad thing. The big thing today though was saying goodbye to some very good players. It's the end of an era and it all got quite emotional!


Ben Foden deservedly got most of the attention but I can't believe after 12 years of seeing off some of the best fly halves in the world that we won't see Stephen Myler do this again. I can't recall a penalty that was ever cheered so enthusiastically.

Sorry for all that eggchasing...I'll get back to cycling now!






On Sunday I decided it was time to switch bikes and get out on the trails. So I stuck my Forme Ripley on top of the car and headed over to Wakerley Woods. My plan was to do a warm up lap over the road at Fineshade Woods and then come back to Wakerley Woods for a couple of the Scar Tree trail. With  the lovely weather we're having the trails were almost dry so this was the ideal time for this type of ride.


I'm just going to let the pictures do the talking for this one. The woods were spectacular in this gorgeous weather and just a joy to cycle around. Lots of people were about enjoying the sunshine and also lots of kids on bikes!

Fineshade welcome posters

Fineshade family trail start

Got to love the skills loops

Back at the Wakerley Woods Scar Tree Trail

Beautiful bike in the Bluebells

Not everyone had a good day...

On one of my laps of the Scar Tree trail I came across a couple of blokes with an upside down bike. I asked if they needed help and they replied that they thought that would be a good idea. One look at this rear derailleur old me all I needed to know. He'd snapped his cage and bent the rear hanger. My advice "you're pushing that mate!"

After that great ride I got myself home because we were off for lunch with friends at the Old White Horse in Old! I've ridden past this pub often and always thought it looked like a good place to go. I wasn't wrong. This is a high quality boozer with great food too!

This bike belonged to a regular

Best sign on a pub ever!

Best sign in a pub ever?

So we arrive at today...knowing that I'd spent Sunday in a sunny pub garden you'd think I might be a bit worse for wear? Nah...I was fine! I was almost late for the ride though. My problem is I need to fill every minute with activity. Before the 9am start this morning, I'd dismantled Sam's disappointing bed, done a load of washing and got it out on the line. Thankfully they hadn't left so we're all good.



The weather was once again simply stunning. Hot actually and before long my helmet was dripping with sweat. My plan had been to study he route this morning but all those other things had reduced my chances to do that.However I knew the route as far as East Carlton but was struggling after that. We were heading into hilly Rutland and my local knowledge ran out!


Stunning leafy lanes

Rolling hills

Group shot at a duck pond next to the Fox Inn at Hallaton (another good looking pub!)

Quack, quack...luckily Mark C and I are fluent in Mallard Duck


Stunning!

At Belton in Rutland it all went a bit wrong. Heather had designed a great route but Garmin had struck again to send us off road on road bikes. Whilst we stood and debated a plan, Chris rode off. He found a bridleway, walked a bit and then got back on the planned route...The rest of us headed off ion a way around the problem. It got more and more confusing with committee meetings at almost every junction...it also got very lumpy and we did more hills than I thought possible this close to Northamptonshire. Poor Heather, it wasn't her fault, as per usual where sympathy was required, we just took the mickey!


After a couple of phonecalls, a roundabout route and a very lucky near miss with passing cars, we found our way to the Rutland Garden Centre where Chris was waiting for us. He'd been there long enough to write this blog for me and was enjoying some very nice food and drink. We joined him for a well earned beverage or two and those milkshakes in glass welly boots were very popular.

Milkshake in a boot!


Earlier in the day I realised I'd forgotten a hayfever tablet and I was suffering quite a bit. Mark C recommended local honey and I found some at the garden centre. It was pointed out that it wouldn't work because the Northants bees don't cross the county line!


Bairdy needed a wee and the gents was taken so we encouraged him to use the ladies. With no other option he did just that. For some reason he couldn't get out...I was literally hyperventilating when he knocked on the door and then started shouting: "help, let me out!"



After the break it was hills, hills, hills. The closer I got to home the more shattered I became. However this was an awesome day of riding. Great route, lovely weather, very good company. For the last few miles I started to feel sick. I wasn't sure if this was the heat or the effort. However if the cure is any indication of the cause, I was hungry!!!

Following the ride it was round to my inlaws for a barbecue. I wasn't keen on food but a cold beer was welcome. Then I ate, and the sickness just went away in an instant. It's obvious really isn't it? According to my fitbit I've burned 4,759 calories today. That has to come from somewhere and you can't just go: "happy days that's a few pounds lost!" Your body needs some back!

What a stunning weekend. I feel lucky and privileged to have such a wonderful life! It caps a great week really. In addition to the cycling we've had some great family time. Other highlights were seeing Infinity War on Monday and doing the Trapp'd escape room 'Maine State Prison,' on Thursday. I might need a boring week next week to recover!!!

In the wider cycling world, I really enjoyed this years Tour de Yorkshire and the Giro is also in full swing. 

That's it, I need a lie down!


Happy Pedalling

No comments:

Post a Comment